Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Things You Do!


Dear Little Ham,

You bought home something fierce from daycare (aka... the germ pit)so now your poor daddy caught your cold and can't seem to shake it off either. I guess you're both losing. you poor thing! on top of that you still are not sleeping through the night. Mommy and daddy swear we have tried everything there is in this world to help you get a better night of rest. I'm coming to the conclusion that you are just not a sleeper. This runs in your daddy's family, your daddy and Grandma Ruth don't require sleep either.

So what you do these days hasn't been your best. As soon as diaper comes off your hands go down south. I would think this would be painful, son! after I tell you nice little boys don't do such things You then proceed to flip over mid diaper change and crawl away. This isn't unusual for male babies, I suppose. You don't like to sit still for diaper changes and I refuse to let your little junk hang out. Once in a while getting some air circulation is necessary but I can't trust you to not have a little accident on the carpet. Having one little doggie who tinkles in the house is ENOUGH! The worst is when when you try to pull the same stunt during a poopy diaper change. Of course, that makes a nasty mess. Daddy and I are each other's back up now during poopy diaper changes, you are one strong infant but we are equipped!

Daddy and mommy still can't figure out how you function on lack of sleep. You're not much of a napper either. Sometimes you can barely keep your eyes open on our laps but as soon as we put you in your crib, you raise holy hell. You scream, thrash, kick and reach to stand up. I really do not appreciate when you pull on mommy's clothes and hair. This is all very frustrating! I would stay, rub your back, sing to you and do everything I'm supposed to but you have the tendency to head in the wrong direction — more awake instead of more sleepy. One time I was so frustrated I found myself mutter some ugly and unmotherly things under my breath. Something on the lines of "Dammit Adrian, if you tuck on something you're not suppose to again I will pop that hand off and make you grow another one." I know! wow! not mommy's proudest moment......you won!

I always draw a blank when I'm asked to write down a helpful advice for a new mommy at her baby shower. The next advice I give is-don't bother to purchase a nice crib. The baby will chew on it and beat it to hell with whatever they have in their hands. In Adrian's case his weapon is his binky. It's amazing how much damage a piece of plastic can do to dark cherry wood.

Your favorite meal is rice cereal and applesauce. Your new thing is to spit out anything you don't like. I may say you get very good range too. I think carrots aren't your favorite. Daddy can always tell where Tornado Adrian has swept through. After you're done with a meal, anywhere near your vicinity would be covered with what you just ate. Lucky Miko, she gets quite a treat these days. Her favorite time is when she sees you in your highchair.

Before I go, though, I want to you to know why I’m writing this. I’m not really complaining (even though I know there’s something of that), I’m not mad and I hope I haven’t embarrassed you. I’m writing so that one day when you’re grown, have kids of your own, you’ll be able to flip to this page in your blog and know that you’re part of a long tradition. You’ll be reminded that these things pass and that you are very, very loved.

And maybe you’ll laugh. I hope you laugh.

Love you dearly,
Daddy and Mommy

No comments: